How many times have you arrived at an event photography gig only to realize that you’ve left a crucial element at home? An extra memory card? Spare batteries perhaps? As a professional photographer, your job entails so much more than just grabbing your camera as you rush out of the door. Whether you're shooting a wedding, corporate event, or a birthday party, each event takes careful planning and preparation, and it's vital to make sure that nothing important gets left behind.
To make sure you’re 100% ready for your next gig, we’ve compiled a fool-proof event photography checklist that covers everything you need to take to a job - including those little extras you may not have thought about.
- Camera body (and a backup if possible!)
- Camera bag
- Camera strap
- Variety of lenses (wide-angle, zoom, prime)
- Lens cleaning kit
- Tripod or monopod for stability
- Extra camera batteries and chargers
- Sufficient memory cards
- External flash units with diffusers
- Extra batteries for flash units
- Reflector for natural light adjustments
- Lens hood to reduce glare
- Lens filters (e.g., UV, polarizer)
- Lens cap holder (to prevent losing caps)
- Remote shutter release for long exposures
- Backpack for easy transport
- Lens pouches or protective cases
Shot List and Itinerary
- Event schedule or itinerary
- Printed shot list with client preferences
- Contact information for event organizers
- Laptop or tablet for on-site backups
- External hard drive
- USB card reader for quick transfers
Alternatively, to save time, space, and peace of mind, invest in a Snapify wireless device to back up your photos to the cloud as you take them. Even if something were to happen to your equipment during the event, your images will be safe.
- Small toolkit (you never know when you’ll need one!)
- Gaffer tape (for quick fixes)
- Zip ties (for cable management)
- Business cards (every event is another marketing opportunity!)
Keep this event photography checklist at your disposal and you’ll be prepared for whatever the job throws your way.